Thursday, January 27, 2011

Headstone For Grave;ontario

Birkenau

Yesterday I thought already to 27 January, (which is the birthday of my cousin), and the fact that about ten years now and Memorial Day. I have read several books over the years, (The Diary of Anne Frank, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, The Book of Edith, the friend found, If This Is a Man, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas ...), and saw several films on 'argument, (The Pianist, Shindler's List, Train de vie, life is beautiful ...).
When my son is great hope that he too wants to read the stories by Holocaust survivors. Why may seem trivial, repetitive ... but it's true: we must not forget what happened. Must remain in the memories of the carnage we humans created by others humans in the not so distant.
yesterday I said that I did not know whether or not to write something about this day, because it is a very delicate topic. But then I decided to dedicate a post to this special day and some immagini.Sono visits that they will remain in my heart.
In 2004, together with some colleagues, I visited Auschwitz Birkenau (Oswiecim - Poland ), and a few years later, with my cousin, Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.
I do not think that Frost tried to forget the Birkenau camp while the guide led us through the streets between one block and the other under the gray sky blue and the corridors of the barracks on the walls hung hundreds of photos of people who lived for a few weeks and / or a few months there dentroLe huge display cases inside which were piled up thousands of bags, sunglasses, hair, shoes, prosthesis.
The silence in what is now a museum, people from all over the world praying. There was a group of Jews, recognizable by their headgear, when I cross I lowered my head. I thought maybe they were there to visit the place where they had killed some of their distant relatives. This visit was very vivid in my memory I remember most vividly the uniforms hanging in the glass case, the various symbols sewn on each serving to distinguish the prisoners according to ethnicity or religion which they professed.
Reproduction of the daily ration of food that was given to each person once a day. I remember a guide who spoke Italian, the stories of the lives of prisoners, numbers, facts, pictures. Unfortunately it was all related to people actually lived. Yet after reading books, seeing films and visiting this area (and it was not the first time in eighth grade teachers took us to visit a camp near Trieste), I struggle to comprehend that things really happened so inhumane .
See for yourself the places where these atrocities took place scary, because it is reality. Terrible things have happened in that area, things that we should all remember, because they do not recur in the future and we should tell our children what happened in that period that all we would like deleted.

The images published in this post were taken by me and some of my colleagues during a visit to Birkenau

0 comments:

Post a Comment